Ubuntu Security Notice USN-1949-1
10th September, 2013
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 13.04
- Ubuntu 12.10
ImageMagick could be made to crash or run programs as your login if it opened a specially crafted file.
- imagemagick - Image manipulation programs and library
It was discovered that ImageMagick incorrectly handled decoding GIF image
comments. If a user or automated system using ImageMagick were tricked into
opening a specially crafted GIF image, an attacker could exploit this to
cause a denial of service or possibly execute code with the privileges of
the user invoking the program.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 13.04:
- libmagick++5 8:220.127.116.11-5ubuntu2.1
- libmagickcore5 8:18.104.22.168-5ubuntu2.1
- Ubuntu 12.10:
- libmagick++5 8:22.214.171.124-2ubuntu4.1
- libmagickcore5 8:126.96.36.199-2ubuntu4.1
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.