Scale out with Ubuntu Server
The leading platform for scale-out computing, Ubuntu Server helps you make the most of your infrastructure. Whether you want to deploy an OpenStack cloud, a Hadoop cluster or a 50,000-node render farm, Ubuntu Server delivers the best value scale-out performance available.
What’s new in 14.04 LTS
- Supported for five years by Canonical
- Certification as a guest on AWS, Microsoft Azure, Joyent, IBM and HP Cloud
- Updates to Tomcat (v7), Postgresql (v9.3), Docker v(0.9), Puppet (v3.0), Qemu (v2.0), Libvirt (v1.2), LXC (v1.0) and MySQL (v5.5)
- The first production release of Open vSwitch 2.0 with full kernel integration
- Runs on x86, x86-64, ARM v7, ARM64 and Power
- Supported for five years by Canonical
- Updated to the Icehouse release, including automated installation, queuing/notification and the integration of database-as-a-service
- Certified by Microsoft to host Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2008 R2 as guests, under its Server Virtualisation Validation Program (SVVP)
- Now compatible with CloudFoundry, the world’s leading PaaS platform
What’s new in 14.10
- The fastest, most secure bare-metal hypervisor
- ARM64 support for the launch of next-generation hyperscale, hyperdense HP, AMD servers
- A consistent operating system experience on ARM, X86, POWER8 architectures for cloud and devices
- The latest version of Docker, v1.2
- User-level containers (any user can spin up whole-system containers)
- Disk acceleration extending SSD performance to large, cheap rotary disks
- Bare-metal provisioning of CentOS, SUSE, Windows and Ubuntu with MAAS 1.7
Scale-out at speed with Ubuntu on HP Moonshot
As the leading OS for ARM-based hyperscale computing, we’re partnering with HP to disrupt the server marketplace.
Ubuntu Server on Power
In addition to x86 and ARM servers, Ubuntu is supported on the Power architecture. For the enterprise datacentre, this means you can now build your infrastructure on any hardware you choose.
Performance and versatility
Agile, secure, deploy-anywhere technology for fast-moving companies
It doesn’t matter whether you want to deploy a NoSQL database, web farm or cloud. Ubuntu has the performance and versatility you need. Certified by leading hardware OEMs and with comprehensive deployment tools, so you can get the most from your infrastructure.
Our regular release cycle helps means that we support most of the latest applications. And our lean initial install and integrated deployment and orchestration technologies makes Ubuntu Server a great solution for simple deployment and management at scale.
Works with all your hardware and software
Scale without limits
With no licence fees or subscription costs, Ubuntu Server can help you scale your data centre efficiently. Subscriptions to Ubuntu Advantage, Canonical’s management programme, include support for unlimited virtualisation and, unlike other enterprise Linux distributions, the price does not increase with additional CPUs.
A release schedule you can depend on
Stay up-to-date with regular updates and upgrades
Long-term support (LTS) releases of Ubuntu Server are supported by Canonical for five years. Every six months, interim releases bring new features, while hardware enablement updates add support for the latest machines to all supported LTS releases.
Landscape — Support and systems management
The Ubuntu Advantage service programme provides fast problem resolution, direct access to Ubuntu experts and efficient administration with the Ubuntu systems management package, Landscape.
Landscape enables you to automate updates and control physical, virtual and cloud servers from a single interface. It’s easy to set up and easy to use, giving you the power to manage thousands of machines as easily as you can manage one.
Juju — service orchestration
With the option of a command line or browser-based interface, Juju enables you to deploy entire workloads in just a few clicks. It works on public clouds like AWS and HP Cloud, private clouds built on OpenStack and even directly on bare metal, via MAAS.
MAAS — bare metal provisioning
MAAS is a time-saving provisioning system that makes it quick and easy to set up the physical hardware on which to deploy complex services, like Ubuntu’s OpenStack cloud infrastructure. Just plug in your servers, connect them to the network and let MAAS do the rest.
Choose from the most popular public clouds
Want the power of Ubuntu Server in the public cloud? Ubuntu cloud guest offers all the goodness of Ubuntu Server, specially tailored for public cloud infrastructures and without any licence restrictions.
We provide images for more public cloud providers than anyone else, and we make sure they’re kept up-to-date. That means you can run the very best software on the best public cloud for your needs.
Ubuntu is the most widely used developer platform for open‐source cloud building, the reference operating system for OpenStack, and the most popular cloud guest operating system on private and public clouds globally.
Ubuntu Server is available now for:
- Amazon Web Services
- HP Cloud
- Microsoft Azure
Our big data partners
Built for big data and cloud
Speed and simplicity, on bare metal or in the cloud
With its new rapid deployment tools, Ubuntu significantly speeds up the installation of server instances on bare metal. And our service orchestration tool, Juju, makes deploying big data services surprisingly simple — on bare metal or in the cloud. That’s why vendors like 10gen, Cloudera, Couchbase, DataStax, Hortonworks, LexisNexis and Map-R partner with us.
The fast track to virtualisation
Ready to boost efficiencies and reduce costs? Virtualise your servers with Ubuntu Server and KVM. When you use a secure, lean version of Ubuntu as a guest operating system for your application, you can create virtual machine images in minutes. KVM, Xen, VMware and LXC are all supported.
A thriving community
Exchange expertise and ideas with thousands of other IT professionals
Want to talk to other Ubuntu users straightaway? Share ideas and get advice and help from our large, active community of IT professionals. As a community, we set high standards for friendliness and tolerance, we welcome your questions and contributions!