Ubuntu Desktop for developers
Whether you’re a mobile app developer, an engineering manager, a music or video editor or a financial analyst with large-scale models to run — in fact, anyone in need of a powerful machine for your work — Ubuntu is the ideal platform.
Why use Ubuntu for development?
- The fastest route from development to deployment on desktop, mobile, server or cloud
- The desktop of choice for developers at some of the world’s leading technology companies
- The broadest and best development tools and libraries
- Lightweight to either run natively or in a VM, on a PC or a Mac
- Ideal for any resource-intensive environment, from data mining to large-scale financial modelling
* This graph excludes non-Linux OSs
With Ubuntu, you’re in good company
Ubuntu is used by thousands of development teams around the world because of its versatility, reliability, constantly updated features, and extensive developer libraries.
If you’re managing developers, Ubuntu is the best way to increase your team’s productivity and guarantee a smooth transition from development all the way to production. Ubuntu is the world’s most popular open source OS for both development and deployment, from the data centre to the cloud.
And, as the Ubuntu OS converges, these same applications will be able to run on desktop, tablets, phone and even on the Internet of Things — one application across our full range of devices.
What’s new in 15.10?
Alongside support for the very latest hardware, Ubuntu 15.10 includes new versions of many core apps and developer technologies.
- Linux 4.2.1 kernel
- Firefox 41, Thunderbird 38.2 and Chromium 45 updates
- LibreOffice 5.0.1 with improved formatting of calc, refreshed theme and improvements to menu and sidebars
- Ubuntu Make now supports 20 development platforms
- Locally Integrated Menus (LIM) are enabled by default
- Unity 7.3.2, Gtk 3.16.7, Compiz 0.9.12.1 and qt 5.4.2 updates
All the tools developers need
Whether your team uses Python, Ruby, Node.js or Java, no operating system is easier to set up than Ubuntu. Everything your developers need is just a click or an apt-get away.
Want to try your hand at developing for Ubuntu? Join our worldwide app developer community.
By developers, for developers
Ubuntu is the result of contributions by thousands of developers, motivated by the desire to create their own perfect developer environment. That’s why it’s used by some of the world’s most exciting technology companies and it’s why Valve decided to port its hugely popular Steam virtual games store to Ubuntu. Ubuntu runs on architectures from x86 to ARM and on cloud platforms from OpenStack to Azure and EC2. This versatility makes it the ideal choice for companies with a diverse hardware infrastructure.
“Ubuntu has been the perfect OS given its popularity with developers and its cloud capabilities. That’s why it’s preloaded on the 4th generation of our XPS 13 laptop and our new Precision M3800 Mobile Workstation.”
Barton George, Director of developer programs at Dell services