USN-489-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-489-1
19th July, 2007
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
A flaw was discovered in dvb ULE decapsulation. A remote attacker could
send a specially crafted message and cause a denial of service.
The compat_sys_mount function allowed local users to cause a denial of
service when mounting a smbfs filesystem in compatibility mode.
The Omnikey CardMan 4040 driver (cm4040_cs) did not limit the size of
buffers passed to read() and write(). A local attacker could exploit
this to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges. (CVE-2007-0005)
Due to an variable handling flaw in the ipv6_getsockopt_sticky()
function a local attacker could exploit the getsockopt() calls to read
arbitrary kernel memory. This could disclose sensitive data.
Ilja van Sprundel discovered that Bluetooth setsockopt calls could
leak kernel memory contents via an uninitialized stack buffer. A local
attacker could exploit this flaw to view sensitive kernel information.
A flaw was discovered in the handling of netlink messages. Local
attackers could cause infinite recursion leading to a denial of service.
The random number generator was hashing a subset of the available entropy,
leading to slightly less random numbers. Additionally, systems without
an entropy source would be seeded with the same inputs at boot time,
leading to a repeatable series of random numbers. (CVE-2007-2453)
A flaw was discovered in the PPP over Ethernet implementation. Local
attackers could manipulate ioctls and cause kernel memory consumption
leading to a denial of service. (CVE-2007-2525)
An integer underflow was discovered in the cpuset filesystem. If mounted,
local attackers could obtain kernel memory using large file offsets
while reading the tasks file. This could disclose sensitive data.
Vilmos Nebehaj discovered that the SCTP netfilter code did not correctly
validate certain states. A remote attacker could send a specially
crafted packet causing a denial of service. (CVE-2007-2876)
Luca Tettamanti discovered a flaw in the VFAT compat ioctls on 64-bit
systems. A local attacker could corrupt a kernel_dirent struct and
cause a denial of service. (CVE-2007-2878)
A flaw was discovered in the cluster manager. A remote attacker could
connect to the DLM port and block further DLM operations.
A flaw was discovered in the usblcd driver. A local attacker could
cause large amounts of kernel memory consumption, leading to a denial
of service. (CVE-2007-3513)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 6.06 LTS:
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-amd64-generic 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-powerpc-smp 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-amd64-k8 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-686 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-powerpc64-smp 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-server-bigiron 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-sparc64-smp 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-mckinley 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-server 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-k7 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-mckinley-smp 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-amd64-server 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-amd64-xeon 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-386 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-powerpc 2.6.15-28.57
- linux-image-2.6.15-28-sparc64 2.6.15-28.57
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system upgrade you need to reboot your computer to
effect the necessary changes.