USN-3228-1: libevent vulnerabilities
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3228-1
13th March, 2017
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 16.10
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in libevent.
- libevent - Asynchronous event notification library
Guido Vranken discovered that libevent incorrectly handled memory when
processing certain data. A remote attacker could possibly use this issue
with an application that uses libevent to cause a denial of service, or
possibly execute arbitrary code.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 16.10:
- libevent-2.0-5 2.0.21-stable-2ubuntu0.16.10.1
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
- libevent-2.0-5 2.0.21-stable-2ubuntu0.16.04.1
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- libevent-2.0-5 2.0.21-stable-1ubuntu1.14.04.2
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
- libevent-2.0-5 2.0.16-stable-1ubuntu0.2
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.