USN-3217-1: network-manager-applet vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3217-1
7th March, 2017
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 16.10
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
The system could be made to expose sensitive information.
- network-manager-applet - GNOME frontend for NetworkManager
Frederic Bardy and Quentin Biguenet discovered that network-manager-applet incorrectly checked
permissions when connecting to certain wireless networks. A local attacker
could use this issue at the login screen to access local files.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 16.10:
- network-manager-gnome 1.2.6-0ubuntu1.1
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
- network-manager-gnome 1.2.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.2
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- network-manager-gnome 0.9.8.8-0ubuntu4.5
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
- network-manager-gnome 0.9.4.1-0ubuntu2.6
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
all the necessary changes.