USN-3203-1: gtk-vnc vulnerabilities
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3203-1
20th February, 2017
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
gtk-vnc could be made to crash or run programs if it received specially crafted network traffic.
- gtk-vnc - VNC viewer widget
It was discovered that gtk-vnc incorrectly validated certain data. A
malicious server could use this issue to cause gtk-vnc to crash, resulting
in a denial of service, or possibly execute arbitrary code.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- libgtk-vnc-1.0-0 0.5.3-0ubuntu2.1
- libgvnc-1.0-0 0.5.3-0ubuntu2.1
- libgtk-vnc-2.0-0 0.5.3-0ubuntu2.1
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
- libgtk-vnc-1.0-0 0.5.0-1ubuntu1.1
- libgvnc-1.0-0 0.5.0-1ubuntu1.1
- libgtk-vnc-2.0-0 0.5.0-1ubuntu1.1
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.