USN-3010-1: Expat vulnerabilities
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3010-1
20th June, 2016
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 15.10
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in Expat.
- expat - XML parsing C library
It was discovered that Expat unexpectedly called srand in certain
circumstances. This could reduce the security of calling applications.
It was discovered that Expat incorrectly handled seeding the random number
generator. A remote attacker could possibly use this issue to cause a
denial of service. (CVE-2016-5300)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
- libexpat1 2.1.0-7ubuntu0.16.04.2
- lib64expat1 2.1.0-7ubuntu0.16.04.2
- Ubuntu 15.10:
- libexpat1 2.1.0-7ubuntu0.15.10.2
- lib64expat1 2.1.0-7ubuntu0.15.10.2
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- libexpat1 2.1.0-4ubuntu1.3
- lib64expat1 2.1.0-4ubuntu1.3
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
- libexpat1 2.0.1-7.2ubuntu1.4
- lib64expat1 2.0.1-7.2ubuntu1.4
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system upgrade you need to restart any applications linked
against Expat to effect the necessary changes.