USN-1135-1: Exim vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-1135-1
25th May, 2011
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 11.04
- Ubuntu 10.10
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
An attacker could send crafted input to Exim and cause it to run programs as the Exim user.
- exim4 - metapackage to ease Exim MTA (v4) installation
It was discovered that the Exim daemon did not correctly handle certain
DKIM identities. A remote attacker could send specially crafted email to
run arbitrary code as the Exim user.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 11.04:
- exim4-daemon-heavy 4.74-1ubuntu1.2
- exim4-daemon-custom 4.74-1ubuntu1.2
- exim4-daemon-light 4.74-1ubuntu1.2
- Ubuntu 10.10:
- exim4-daemon-heavy 4.72-1ubuntu1.3
- exim4-daemon-custom 4.72-1ubuntu1.3
- exim4-daemon-light 4.72-1ubuntu1.3
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:
- exim4-daemon-heavy 4.71-3ubuntu1.3
- exim4-daemon-custom 4.71-3ubuntu1.3
- exim4-daemon-light 4.71-3ubuntu1.3
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.