Ubuntu is a popular operating system and a popular starting point for people who want to create their own operating systems.
Recognised Ubuntu flavours
These are flavours that use Ubuntu as their foundation and contribute significantly towards the project.
- Kubuntu — Ubuntu with the KDE Plasma desktop environment
- Lubuntu — Ubuntu that uses LXDE
- Mythbuntu — Designed for creating a home theatre PC with MythTV
- Ubuntu Budgie — Simplicity and elegance – Budgie desktop powered by Ubuntu
- Ubuntu GNOME — Ubuntu with the GNOME desktop environment
- Ubuntu Kylin — Ubuntu localised for China
- Ubuntu MATE — Ubuntu with the MATE desktop environment
- Ubuntu Studio — Designed for multimedia editing and creation
- Xubuntu — Ubuntu with the XFCE desktop environment
Due to space considerations, only a few languages are included on the standard Ubuntu images. Support for other languages can be found on DVD, and from sources around the Internet. The following derivatives have full language support for the relevant language directly on the standard image.
- English (US, UK, AU)
- Brazilian Portuguese
- Simplified Chinese
A complete list of known flavours is maintained on the Ubuntu Wiki Derivatives Team page.