Ubuntu Security Notice USN-705-1
8th January, 2009
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 8.10
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 7.10
- Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
It was discovered that NTP did not properly perform signature verification.
A remote attacker could exploit this to bypass certificate validation via
a malformed SSL/TLS signature.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 8.10:
- ntp 1:4.2.4p4+dfsg-6ubuntu2.2
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS:
- ntp 1:4.2.4p4+dfsg-3ubuntu2.1
- Ubuntu 7.10:
- ntp 1:4.2.4p0+dfsg-1ubuntu2.1
- Ubuntu 6.06 LTS:
- ntp-simple 1:4.2.0a+stable-8.1ubuntu6.1
- ntp-refclock 1:4.2.0a+stable-8.1ubuntu6.1
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system upgrade is sufficient to effect the