Ubuntu Security Notice USN-2216-1
21st May, 2014
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 13.10
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Pidgin could be made to crash or run programs if it received specially crafted network traffic.
- pidgin - graphical multi-protocol instant messaging client for X
It was discovered that Pidgin incorrectly handled certain messages from
Gadu-Gadu file relay servers. A malicious remote server or a man in the
middle could use this issue to cause Pidgin to crash, resulting in a denial
of service, or possibly execute arbitrary code.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- pidgin 1:2.10.9-0ubuntu3.1
- libpurple0 1:2.10.9-0ubuntu3.1
- Ubuntu 13.10:
- pidgin 1:2.10.7-0ubuntu22.214.171.124.2
- libpurple0 1:2.10.7-0ubuntu126.96.36.199.2
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
- pidgin 1:2.10.3-0ubuntu1.5
- libpurple0 1:2.10.3-0ubuntu1.5
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to restart Pidgin to make all the