USN-2202-1: Linux kernel vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-2202-1
5th May, 2014
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 12.10
The system could be made to crash or run programs as an administrator.
- linux - Linux kernel
A flaw was discovered in the Linux kernel's pseudo tty (pty) device. An
unprivileged user could exploit this flaw to cause a denial of service
(system crash) or potentially gain administrator privileges.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 12.10:
- linux-image-3.5.0-49-highbank 3.5.0-49.74
- linux-image-3.5.0-49-powerpc-smp 3.5.0-49.74
- linux-image-3.5.0-49-omap 3.5.0-49.74
- linux-image-3.5.0-49-powerpc64-smp 3.5.0-49.74
- linux-image-3.5.0-49-generic 3.5.0-49.74
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
all the necessary changes.