USN-2036-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-2036-1
3rd December, 2013
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.
- linux - Linux kernel
A flaw was discovered in the Linux kernel's KVM (kernel virtual machine).
An administrative user in the guest OS could leverage this flaw to cause a
denial of service in the host OS. (CVE-2012-2121)
Multiple integer overflow flaws were discovered in the Alchemy LCD frame-
buffer drivers in the Linux kernel. An unprivileged local user could
exploit this flaw to gain administrative privileges. (CVE-2013-4511)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:
- linux-image-2.6.32-54-preempt 2.6.32-54.116
- linux-image-2.6.32-54-powerpc-smp 2.6.32-54.116
- linux-image-2.6.32-54-ia64 2.6.32-54.116
- linux-image-2.6.32-54-generic-pae 2.6.32-54.116
- linux-image-2.6.32-54-generic 2.6.32-54.116
- linux-image-2.6.32-54-virtual 2.6.32-54.116
- linux-image-2.6.32-54-lpia 2.6.32-54.116
- linux-image-2.6.32-54-386 2.6.32-54.116
- linux-image-2.6.32-54-sparc64-smp 2.6.32-54.116
- linux-image-2.6.32-54-sparc64 2.6.32-54.116
- linux-image-2.6.32-54-powerpc 2.6.32-54.116
- linux-image-2.6.32-54-powerpc64-smp 2.6.32-54.116
- linux-image-2.6.32-54-server 2.6.32-54.116
- linux-image-2.6.32-54-versatile 2.6.32-54.116
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have
been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and
reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. If
you use linux-restricted-modules, you have to update that package as
well to get modules which work with the new kernel version. Unless you
manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic,
linux-server, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically
perform this as well.