Ubuntu Security Notice USN-1785-1
2nd April, 2013
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 12.10
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 11.10
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
Applications using poppler could be made to crash or possibly run programs as your login if they opened a specially crafted file.
- poppler - PDF rendering library
It was discovered that poppler contained multiple security issues when
parsing malformed PDF documents. If a user or automated system were tricked
into opening a crafted PDF file, an attacker could cause a denial of
service or possibly execute arbitrary code with privileges of the user
invoking the program.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 12.10:
- libpoppler-glib8 0.20.4-0ubuntu1.2
- libpoppler28 0.20.4-0ubuntu1.2
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
- libpoppler-glib8 0.18.4-1ubuntu3.1
- libpoppler19 0.18.4-1ubuntu3.1
- Ubuntu 11.10:
- libpoppler-glib6 0.16.7-2ubuntu2.1
- libpoppler13 0.16.7-2ubuntu2.1
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:
- libpoppler-glib4 0.12.4-0ubuntu5.3
- libpoppler5 0.12.4-0ubuntu5.3
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS:
- libpoppler2 0.6.4-1ubuntu3.6
- libpoppler-glib2 0.6.4-1ubuntu3.6
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.