Ubuntu Security Notice USN-1750-1
26th February, 2013
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 12.10
The system could be made to crash or run programs as an administrator.
- linux - Linux kernel
Mathias Krause discovered a bounds checking error for netlink messages
requesting SOCK_DIAG_BY_FAMILY. An unprivileged local user could exploit
this flaw to crash the system or run programs as an administrator.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 12.10:
- linux-image-3.5.0-25-generic 3.5.0-25.39
- linux-image-3.5.0-25-omap 3.5.0-25.39
- linux-image-3.5.0-25-powerpc-smp 3.5.0-25.39
- linux-image-3.5.0-25-highbank 3.5.0-25.39
- linux-image-3.5.0-25-powerpc64-smp 3.5.0-25.39
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
all the necessary changes.