Ubuntu Security Notice USN-1705-1
28th January, 2013
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 12.10
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 11.10
Libav could be made to crash or run programs as your login if it opened a specially crafted file.
- libav - Multimedia player, server, encoder and transcoder
It was discovered that Libav incorrectly handled certain malformed media
files. If a user were tricked into opening a crafted media file, an
attacker could cause a denial of service via application crash, or possibly
execute arbitrary code with the privileges of the user invoking the
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 12.10:
- libavformat53 6:0.8.5-0ubuntu0.12.10.1
- libavcodec53 6:0.8.5-0ubuntu0.12.10.1
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
- libavformat53 4:0.8.5-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
- libavcodec53 4:0.8.5-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
- Ubuntu 11.10:
- libavformat53 4:0.7.6-0ubuntu0.11.10.3
- libavcodec53 4:0.7.6-0ubuntu0.11.10.3
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.