Ubuntu Security Notice USN-1588-1
1st October, 2012
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 11.10
- Ubuntu 11.04
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Software Properties could be tricked into installing arbitrary PPA GPG keys.
- software-properties - manage the repositories that you install software from
It was discovered that the apt-add-repository tool incorrectly validated
PPA GPG keys when importing from a keyserver. If a remote attacker were
able to perform a man-in-the-middle attack, this flaw could be exploited to
install altered package repository GPG keys.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
- python-software-properties 0.82.7.3
- Ubuntu 11.10:
- python-software-properties 0.81.13.5
- Ubuntu 11.04:
- python-software-properties 0.80.9.2
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:
- python-software-properties 0.75.10.3
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.