Ubuntu Security Notice USN-1535-1
10th August, 2012
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.
- linux - Linux kernel
An error was discovered in the Linux kernel's network TUN/TAP device
implementation. A local user with access to the TUN/TAP interface (which is
not available to unprivileged users until granted by a root user) could
exploit this flaw to crash the system or potential gain administrative
An error was discovered in the Linux kernel's memory subsystem (hugetlb).
An unprivileged local user could exploit this flaw to cause a denial of
service (crash the system). (CVE-2012-2390)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-386 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-powerpc 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-powerpc64-smp 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-generic-pae 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-sparc64 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-generic 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-versatile 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-virtual 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-server 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-ia64 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-sparc64-smp 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-preempt 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-powerpc-smp 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-lpia 2.6.32-42.95
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have
been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and
reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. If
you use linux-restricted-modules, you have to update that package as
well to get modules which work with the new kernel version. Unless you
manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic,
linux-server, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically
perform this as well.