Ubuntu Security Notice USN-738-1
16th March, 2009
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 8.10
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 7.10
Diego Petteno discovered that the Base64 encoding functions in GLib did not
properly handle large strings. If a user or automated system were tricked
into processing a crafted Base64 string, an attacker could possibly execute
arbitrary code with the privileges of the user invoking the program.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 8.10:
- libglib2.0-0 2.18.2-0ubuntu2.1
- libglib2.0-udeb 2.18.2-0ubuntu2.1
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS:
- libglib2.0-0 2.16.6-0ubuntu1.1
- libglib2.0-udeb 2.16.6-0ubuntu1.1
- Ubuntu 7.10:
- libglib2.0-0 2.14.1-1ubuntu1.1
- libglib2.0-udeb 2.14.1-1ubuntu1.1
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system upgrade you need to reboot your computer to effect
the necessary changes.