USN-1738-1: Linux kernel (Oneiric backport) vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-1738-1
21st February, 2013
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
The system could be made to run programs as an administrator.
- linux-lts-backport-oneiric - Linux kernel backport from Oneiric
Suleiman Souhlal, Salman Qazi, Aaron Durbin and Michael Davidson discovered
a race condition in the Linux kernel's ptrace syscall. An unprivileged
local attacker could exploit this flaw to run programs as an administrator.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:
- linux-image-3.0.0-31-server 3.0.0-31.49~lucid1
- linux-image-3.0.0-31-generic 3.0.0-31.49~lucid1
- linux-image-3.0.0-31-virtual 3.0.0-31.49~lucid1
- linux-image-3.0.0-31-generic-pae 3.0.0-31.49~lucid1
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
all the necessary changes.