Ubuntu Security Notice USN-1352-1
31st January, 2012
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 11.10
- Ubuntu 11.04
- Ubuntu 10.10
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Software Properties could be tricked into installing arbitrary PPA GPG keys.
- software-properties - manage the repositories that you install software from
David Black discovered that Software Properties incorrectly validated
server certificates when performing secure connections to download PPA GPG
key fingerprints. If a remote attacker were able to perform a
man-in-the-middle attack, this flaw could be exploited to install altered
package repository GPG keys.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 11.10:
- python-software-properties 0.81.13.3
- Ubuntu 11.04:
- python-software-properties 0.80.9.1
- Ubuntu 10.10:
- python-software-properties 0.76.7.1
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:
- python-software-properties 0.75.10.2
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.