Ubuntu Security Notice USN-1342-1
25th January, 2012
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
The system could be made to run programs as an administrator.
- linux-lts-backport-oneiric - Linux kernel backport from Oneiric
Jüri Aedla discovered that the kernel incorrectly handled /proc/<pid>/mem
permissions. A local attacker could exploit this and gain root privileges.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:
- linux-image-3.0.0-15-server 3.0.0-15.26~lucid1
- linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic 3.0.0-15.26~lucid1
- linux-image-3.0.0-15-virtual 3.0.0-15.26~lucid1
- linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic-pae 3.0.0-15.26~lucid1
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
all the necessary changes.