Ubuntu Security Notice USN-1207-1
14th September, 2011
cups, cupsys vulnerabilities
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 11.04
- Ubuntu 10.10
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
An attacker could send crafted print jobs to CUPS and cause it to crash or run programs.
- cups - Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
- cupsys - Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
Tomas Hoger discovered that the CUPS image library incorrectly handled LZW
streams. A remote attacker could use this flaw to cause a denial of service
or possibly execute arbitrary code.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 11.04:
- libcupsimage2 1.4.6-5ubuntu1.4
- Ubuntu 10.10:
- libcupsimage2 1.4.4-6ubuntu2.4
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:
- libcupsimage2 1.4.3-1ubuntu1.5
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS:
- libcupsimage2 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.13
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.