USN-1032-1: Exim vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-1032-1
10th December, 2010
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 9.10
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
A remote attacker could send crafted email to gain root access.
- exim4 - exim MTA
Sergey Kononenko and Eugene Bujak discovered that Exim did not correctly
truncate string expansions. A remote attacker could send specially crafted
email traffic to run arbitrary code as the Exim user, which could also
lead to root privileges.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 9.10:
- exim4-daemon-heavy 4.69-11ubuntu4.1
- exim4-daemon-custom 4.69-11ubuntu4.1
- exim4-daemon-light 4.69-11ubuntu4.1
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS:
- exim4-daemon-heavy 4.69-2ubuntu0.2
- exim4-daemon-custom 4.69-2ubuntu0.2
- exim4-daemon-light 4.69-2ubuntu0.2
- Ubuntu 6.06 LTS:
- exim4-daemon-heavy 4.60-3ubuntu3.2
- exim4-daemon-custom 4.60-3ubuntu3.2
- exim4-daemon-light 4.60-3ubuntu3.2
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.